RMIT Security Locksmiths
RMIT University Locksmiths are responsible for the control and maintenance of all of the University’s locking systems.
Contact RMIT Locksmiths
Phone: 03 9925 2518
Fax: 03 9925 2221
Address: Building 10, Level 3, Room 10
376-392 Swanston Street
- About RMIT University Locksmiths
- Key Control Office responsibilities
- Key Holder responsibilities
- Costing/Chargeback system
RMIT University Locksmiths are part of RMIT Security.
RMIT University Locksmiths are responsible for the control and maintenance of all the University’s locking systems and provide technical advice on all aspects of security.
The following Access and Key Control guidelines are designed to:
- Protect the University’s assets
- Provide staff with a safe working environment that adheres to all Occupational Health and Safety standards.
- Allow flexible and convenient access to the University for all authorised staff
- Authorise and justify key orders and/or lock cylinder changes for School / Department/Division’s security requirements.
- Responsible for acceptance of all key(s) by signature.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date records – via a Key Register database – on all issued keys within the University. E.g. Name, Location, Date Issued/Returned, Signature. Records may be periodically audited to ensure they are accurate and up-to-date.
- Responsible for distribution of keys to appropriate staff members.
- Maintain key control by possessing a full understanding of the Master Key System and monitoring what rooms and areas staff require or do not require access to, within their respective areas.
- Once a key has been signed for, it is the responsibility of the key holder (full-time, part-time or sessional staff, or research student) to ensure the safe keeping of the key.
- Keys are NOT transferable. At no time, should there be any reason to give a key to another party or staff member.
- Staff members who lose a key or have it stolen must immediately report it to RMIT Security, RMIT Locksmiths and the relevant Key Control Officer for the School / Department./Division. The cylinders/keys will be promptly replaced and the integrity of the University’s security can be maintained. In some instances, depending on the potential impact of the lost key/s, the School or Division to which the staff member or research student belongs, will incur a charge for the replacement of the key/s and cylinder/s.
- When any key holder is no longer employed by the School / Department/Division, he or she must hand their key(s) back to the Key Control Officer. If the key(s) are not returned, the School /Department/Division will take steps to obtain the key/s.
- All other key holder responsibilities are outlined by the individual School / Department as they see fit to maintain the highest level of Security for their respective department(s).
- Some locksmithing services are chargeable.
- Restricted key cutting (e.g. Status Six / TWIN) - $9.00 per key
- Cabinet key or similar - $5.00 per key
- Change of Lockwood oval cylinder - $54.50
- Change of Astra oval cylinder - $54.50
*All prices are current as of 01/01/2009, however are subject to change without notice.
There is generally no cost for most of the other locksmithing services. For verification, please check with RMIT University Locksmiths.